Fall is the perfect time to do a good deep cleaning to get ready for the colder weather ahead. With the holidays right around the corner, we thought we would share our fall deep-cleaning checklist to help you have your apartment cozy and comfy through the end of the year.
Doing a deep clean now, means less frantic cleaning spells during the holiday season. Once you do a deep fall clean, it will be easy to maintain a tidy and cozy home for the holidays so you can focus on spending time with friends and family instead of hunting dust bunnies.
Whether you choose to clean out one or two rooms after work, or knock the whole list out on a Saturday morning…our fall cleaning list will help you stay organized room by room.
Deep Clean Your Bedroom for Fall
Autumn is the perfect time to deep clean your bedroom and pay special attention to your bed. We’re already dreaming of cozy flannel sheets and big fluffy comforters to keep us toasty and comfy this winter.
We love to start our fall cleaning with the bedroom because—even if we don’t complete all of our fall cleaning in one day— it’s an instant reward to be able to crawl into a fresh, comfy bed at the end of a day of cleaning.
- We love using a telescoping dusting wand to wipe walls and dust where the ceiling meets the wall. These are also great for light fixtures.
- Wipe down lamps.
- Polish bedroom furniture.
- Use a damp cloth to wipe down baseboards.
- Strip your bed and wash the mattress cover and bedskirt. If you have a down mattress topper you would like machine washed, it’s best to bring it to your cleaner. They have the extra large washing machine needed for the job.
- Deep clean your mattress by vacuuming it. You can use a hand vacuum or an attachment on your upright vacuum.
- If needed, you can make a gentle solution of dish soap and warm water to wipe down your mattress. Be sure to wring out the cloth well so it is damp and not sopping wet. Then wipe your mattress down and let air dry completely before putting your fresh bedding on.
- Swap out your warm weather bedding for heavier, warmer bedding.
- Depending on what surfaces you have, sweep, vacuum, and/or mop floors, being sure to clean underneath the bed and any other bedroom furniture.
- Wash curtains
- Dust blinds and window frame
- Clean windows with a non-streak glass cleaner and paper towels
Our favorite thing about doing our fall cleaning is we get to pull out our sweaters and boots!
- Gather all warm weather clothing and swimwear to put away for the season.
- Go through your clothes and donate or recycle any old, worn, or stained clothes you no longer wear.
- Vacuum bottom of closet.
- Wipe down surfaces.
- Swap in and organize all your autumn and winter clothes, shoes, and bags.
- Don’t forget your scarves!
Deep Cleaning the Kitchen for Fall
We don’t know about you, but we love to do a little baking in the fall. Baking is a lot more fun if your baking necessities are organized and easy to find. That’s why we love doing a deep kitchen cleaning every fall. Not only do we clean, but we organize our cabinets, making it easy to find just the right spices and cookware to bake that apple pie.
- Empty cabinets and wipe down shelves.
- Go through pantry stock and throw away any stale or expired food.
- Organize food back into cabinets.
- Organize spices so they’re easy to see and grab.
- Wipe and dust outside of cabinets, being sure to wipe underneath and on top of cabinets.
- Don’t forget to tidy under the kitchen sink.
- Declutter and clear everything off of the countertop.
- Clean countertops and wall behind the counter.
- Wipe down any small appliances.
- Empty refrigerator.
- Throw away any old or expired food.
- Clean the inside of the fridge using warm soapy water.
- Dry inside the fridge.
- Organize groceries back into the refrigerator.
- Repeat for the freezer.
- Deep clean your sink using a scrub brush and your favorite sink cleaner.
- Use a smaller brush to get around the crevices of the faucet.
- Polish metal faucet.
- Sweep, vacuum, and/or wash your kitchen floor paying a little extra attention to corners and under furniture and under/around appliances.
Don’t Forget Your Dining Area
Let’s face it, a lot of us eat at home a lot more during fall and winter. It’s nice to have a clean and beautiful place to enjoy our meals at home.
Dining Table and Chairs
- Move dining furniture and deep clean the floor beneath.
- Dust and wipe down the dining table, being sure to get the legs of the table.
- Dust and wipe your dining chairs. Polish if wood, spray and wipe vinyl, acetate, or plastic, and use a damp cloth to clean fabric chairs.
- Set a pretty table top with your favorite fall decor and enjoy!
Living Room Deep Fall Cleaning
Although you may spend a lot of time in your living room, it’s usually the easiest place to do a good deep cleaning. That may be because it typically doesn’t involve going through our wardrobe or kitchen cabinets. If you don’t have a lot of decluttering to do, you can probably knock out a living room deep clean in 30 minutes or less.
- Begin by decluttering your living space. Put away stray clothing and file away any paperwork you may have lying around. If it doesn’t have a home in the living room, put it away.
- Dust and polish wooden furniture.
- Spray any glass, acetate, or plastic furniture and wipe clean.
- Spot clean any fabric furniture pieces that need it.
- Vacuum or sweep your living room floor being sure to clean under all the furniture.
- Mop or dry mop your floors.
- Remove curtains and wash.
- Dust blinds.
- Clean window glass.
- Clean window frames.
- Declutter and organize your desk.
When dusting your living room be sure to hit all surfaces for a nice deep clean feeling. Some items that are easy to overlook:
- Photo frames
Bathroom Fall Cleaning Checklist
It’s great to give your bathroom a good cleaning once a week, but a deeper seasonal cleaning is what keeps your bathroom sparkling clean.
Tub & Shower
- Wash shower curtain.
- Clean or replace shower curtain liner.
- Clean out any old shampoo bottles etc.
- Deep clean shower walls and tub.
- Polish hardware.
- Scrub sink and counter.
- Polish faucet.
- Clean and organize under the sink cabinet.
- Deep clean toilet paying special attention to the base of the toilet, back of toilet, and wall behind toilet.
- Deep clean floor paying special attention to corners and baseboards.
- Wipe down and organize all of your bathroom toiletries.
- Organize and fold towels, hand towels, and wash clothes.
- Clean any vessels that hold toothbrushes, hand soap, cotton swabs, or other toiletries.
Connect With Us
Have questions or need assistance finding your perfect DC apartment? Don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Contact us today!