Home to a rich assortment of historic Colonial and Queen Anne style homes and buildings that appear to come out of a page of a fairy tale, the Cleveland Park neighborhood of Washington D.C. is simply idyllic. This neighborhood is known for its white picket fences, lush flower gardens, and its quiet and relaxing atmosphere that makes it perfect for families to call home. Living in Cleveland Park lets you enjoy three large open nature spaces and an abundance of neighborhood gathering spots where neighbors can socialize while sipping on beer and cocktails and enjoying a whole host of international food.
Interested in learning more about this family-friendly neighborhood? Read on, and we will clue you in on all the fabulous details.
A Glimpse at Cleveland Park’s History
The neighborhood’s roots date back to as early as the 1700s when George Washington called Cleveland Park home. The neighborhood grew in popularity shortly after President Grover Cleveland moved in and established his summer home — in fact, this neighborhood was named after him in 1886. Cleveland Park continued to blossom as the 1900s rolled in, adding in a streetcar system and multiple storefronts, but it has never lost its small-town charm. The area is rich with history and is lined with architecture that pays tribute to its past residents as well as welcomes in new-comers, excited to be living in Cleveland Park.
Cleveland Park Brings Nature to Your Front Door
Cleveland Park is where the luxuries of contemporary living and nature collide in a beautiful and harmonious manner. Whether you are looking for a shady tree to sit under with a good book in hand or simply a scenic place to walk your dog, this neighborhood does not disappoint. Along the eastern edge of this beautiful neighborhood is where you will find Rock Creek. Lined with cherry blossom trees that bloom in whimsical white and pink shades during the spring months, it is a nature space you do not want to miss out on seeing.
Residents living in Cleveland Park are invited to spend warm and sunny days at the various parks located around the neighborhood. Rock Creek Park is the largest of all the parks and is situated right in the middle of Cleveland Park. Here, you will find an abundance of grassy recreational spaces as well as paved trails and playground equipment for the kids. Get some exercise or go for a leisure stroll on Melvin C. Hazen Trail.
Top Activities and Attractions in Cleveland Park
Families, couples, and even solo dwellers are in for a treat living in Cleveland Park. Here are some of the top activities and attractions located in and around the neighborhood:
- Smithsonian National Zoological Park — Located less than a mile from Cleveland Park, Smithsonian National Zoological park encompasses over 163 acres and is one of the largest animal sanctuaries in the D.C. metro area. Creatures big and small from all around the world call this place home. You are invited to wander in with your family and learn about animals, birds, and insects of the wild. This fascinating zoo is home to approximately 380 species of animals and has onsite dining and a gift store.
- Hillwood Estate Museum & Gardens — For those who have a profound love of history, Hillwood Estate Museum & Gardens features over 20,000 artifacts that all have a story to tell. This museum is housed in a Colonial-style mansion and features an extensive china and personal effects collection once owned by Marjorie Merriweather Post.
- President Woodrow Wilson House – Designated as a national historical monument, the President Woodrow Wilson House is a beautiful countryside estate that features perfectly manicured gardens, original art and furnishings, and artifacts once owned by the former president and first lady. The home was occupied until 1961 when it became a living museum dedicated to their memories.
- Atomic Billiards – For adults who want to relax, unwind, and enjoy a night out with friends, Atomic Billiards is the neighborhood hot spot for fun and games. Atomic Billiards is a social gathering place where you can chill out with an ice-cold beer and play some billiards. It is a basement bar that has been around since the 1990s.
Cleveland Park’s Culinary Scene
When it comes to haute cuisine served up in fine dining restaurants and casual eats doled out in local cafes, Cleveland Park offers tantalizing restaurants that appeal to all taste buds. In Cleveland Park, you will find everything from gourmet coffee bistros and gourmet Italian cuisine to traditional American food like burgers and fries. Many of the restaurants located throughout this neighborhood are within close proximity from the apartments and townhomes offered here. If you are looking for a place to have a cold cocktail with friends, Cleveland Park has plenty of classy pubs and bars to choose from.
Annual Events Held in Cleveland Park
Looking for opportunities to get to know your neighbors? While quiet and relaxed, this community also knows how to throw a celebration. If you are looking for something fun to do, here are some annual events to put on your calendar:
- Citi Open – Held at Rock Creek Park Tennis Center in August, Citi Open brings the best tennis players in the world to one spot for just over a week of matches and tournaments.
- Cleveland Park Day – Complete with a parade, games, and street vendors, Cleveland Park Day is hosted every year during the month of October and is a day when residents gather to celebrate their history and local culture. This festival is great for residents who are new to living in Cleveland Park.
Cleveland Park encompasses the true spirit of traditional Americana and it is a wonderful place to call home. Whether you are new to Washington D.C. or are just looking to relocate to a new apartment within the community, we have the perfect place for you to call home. If you are interested in learning more about living in Cleveland Park or are ready to begin checking out potential apartments, contact us today so we can set up a tour for you. Our agents are professionals, and we are ready to welcome you into our iconic neighborhood!